Should allegations against priests not charged in Archdiocese sex abuse case be allowed as evidence?

    The judge in the trial of Monsignor William Lynn and three Philadelphia priests accused of child sex abuse may decide to let prosecutors introduce allegations against priests not charged in the case. Do you think such evidence would be fair?

    The upcoming trial of three Philadelphia priests accused of sexually abusing young boys is gaining a response from NewsWorks readers.

    On Monday, Judge Teresa Sarmina upheld her previous ruling that retired Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua is competent to be a witness. There had been some question that the 88-year-old mans’s significant memory loss would render his testimony unreliable.

    Sarmina also announced she would decide within the week whether prosecutors may introduce abuse allegations against priests who are not charged in the case.

    How do you think the judgeshould rule? Tell us below.

    A reader identified as Dr. McHugh said, “As a Catholic physician who has met many who have been sexually abused by priests, I hope that all possible evidence is allowed to be used in the upcoming trial, to let it be known how dysfunctional the leaders of the Roman Catholic Church have been.”

    NewsWorks reader GBullough said further, “Whatever side the ruling comes down on, the prosecutor has already done a great service by bringing the evidence into the light.”

    Prosecutors hold that allowing such evidence will show Monsignor William Lynn, who is charged with hiding abuse by relocating accused priests, was continuing a tradition of such cover ups. Lynn’s lawyers argue that those allegations are not relevant and would only prejudice the jury against the defendants.

    What do you think? Tell us in the comments below.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.