Sand pumping underway at Delaware beaches

More than 650,000 cubic yards of sand are being pumped onto Rehoboth and Dewey Beach to repair damage done by recent storms.

The work started over the Thanksgiving holiday as massive dredges will work around the clock to replenish sand at Rehoboth and Dewey Beach. The sand is being sourced from under the ocean near Delaware Seashore State Park where the sand grain size matches the destination beach. Officials say matching the grain size not only helps the appearance of the sand, but also improves stability. Matching grains of sand are less prone to erosion.

In addition to bulking up the beaches, workers are also building pedestrian dune crossings and sand fencing, as well as planting dune grass. New storm water outfall pipe extensions will also be built. The outfall pipes will replace temporary fixes to previous outfalls that had been regularly damaged by wave action and storms in the past eight years.

The project costs $11.2 million, with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers paying for 65 percent, and the state paying the remaining 35 percent. The city of Rehoboth will pay $946,500 to fund the outfall pipe repairs.

  • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

The work is expected to continue until it’s completed around January 18.

WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal