New Jersey warns against eating wild mushrooms

    Officials in New Jersey are warning residents not to eat wild mushrooms. Four people have been hospitalized in parts of North and South Jersey after eating what they believed were edible mushrooms.

    Two people in Hudson County and one person each in Monmouth and Ocean counties became ill, and according to the Associate Press, the state’s Poison Information and Education Service has gotten more than a dozen calls over the last couple days about the mushrooms.

    There’s no easy way to tell if they mushrooms you’re eating are poisonous, but the recent heavy rainfall has spawned a bumper crop of the poisonous variety. Symptoms include intense vomiting and diarrhea.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.