‘Tis the season for theft, it seems.
If you’re planning to do some online holiday shopping, New Castle County police are advising that you have a plan for those package deliveries.
The number of stolen packages increases around the holidays and police have provided some tips to help reduce theft.
Police said residents should be aware of suspicious people or vehicles following delivery trucks. Thieves tend to wait for the delivery and snatch the package from doorsteps during working hours, when homes are typically empty. Suspicious activity should be reported to police.
If you’re planning to have items delivered over the holiday season, police suggested taking the following precautions:
– Require a signature confirmation of delivery
– Provide delivery instructions so packages can be left out of sight from your yard or the road
– Take advantage of delivery alerts and ask a trusted neighbor to pick up a package when it arrives
– Consider having your packages delivered to an address where someone is home, such as a neighbor or relative
– Choose “local store pick-up” rather than home delivery
It’s also important to keep records of your purchases, including the shipping details, as most shipping companies require this information if you have to file a complaint.