All month the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program is celebrating 31 Days / 31 Ways that art “ignites change” in people’s lives and in our communities. Each day in October, Mural Arts is sharing a new story by community members, students, public officials, program staff, artists, and funders about the power of art in their own lives. There is also a full schedule of tours, conversations, community participation events and dedications planned.
A few highlights on my list:
- Free tours from 10-12 for the next three Saturdays: Mural Mile (10/8), Love Letter (10/15), and a bike tour around town (10/22)
- Conversations about public art and change including “Muralism and Public Art in Context” (10/18)
- Dance party to celebrate Philly’s biggest mural “How Philly Moves” at the Philadelphia International Airport (10/12) (RSVP required)
- A Papier-mache egg hunt and mural walking tour on two Sundays during DesignPhiladelphia (10/16 and 10/23)
- Dedications of several new murals about everything from water as a precious resource (10/20) to Laurel Hill Cemetery’s 175th Anniversary (10/23).