Missing Dover Airman declared deceased

(Photos courtesy of DAFB)

(Photos courtesy of DAFB)

After a month searching for a missing Delaware Airman, the United States Air Force has declared the man deceased.

 

The death of Senior Airman Keifer Huhman, stationed at Dover Airforce Base, was announced to the public Thursday after the Air Force and police said all investigative evidence had been reviewed.

“This decision was made with a heavy heart. Each of us is heartbroken by the loss of our wingman, Keifer,” said Col. Michael Grismer in a statement.

“In moments like this, all of Team Dover feels the impact of such tragedy. Our most sincere condolences go out to Kiefer’s family, friends and teammates here at Team Dover. We also thank all our local authorities for their professionalism, compassion and tireless efforts in searching for Senior Airman Kiefer Huhman.”

The Airforce said a body has not been found, and the facts surrounding his death are still under investigation.

Huhman was reported missing on Feb. 10th after he didn’t report to duty Feb. 8th.  He was last seen on the evening of Feb. 7th leaving his home at the Blue Hen Apartments in Dover.

Detectives from the Dover Police Department worked with Dover Air Force Base authorities during the investigation.

After searching for Huhman’s vehicle last month, the Dover Police Department learned his truck was towed by the Delaware State Police from the shoulder of the William V. Roth, Jr. Bridge.

The Dover Police Department, the Delaware State Police and the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control searched the canal and surrounding areas.  The investigation continued as a missing person’s case for one month.

A memorial service will be held at Dover Air Force Base’s Main Chapel on Friday at 3 p.m.

 

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.