Man burnt by exploding e-cigarette battery sues Delaware shop

(File/WHYY)

(File/WHYY)

A Delaware man who says he was injured when an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pants has filed a lawsuit against the shop that sold the item.

The Wilmington News Journal reports that Charles Hobbs’ leg was severely burned when the spare battery exploded in the pocket of his pants last year.

Hobbs says in his lawsuit filed this month in the Delaware Superior Court that Delaware Vapor in Claymont did not provide an adequate warning about the risk of explosion. The lawsuit says the explosion caused “extensive burns” to Hobbs’ “lower extremities.”

Brendan Styles, operations manager for Delaware Vapor, did not immediately return a phone message left by The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.