Joint Base Andrews on lockdown after armed person reported
Authorities say Joint Base Andrews was locked down Thursday after the person was reported seen near the base’s housing area.
A military base in Maryland has been locked down for reports of a man carrying an “assault-style” rifle on Thursday, authorities said.
Joint Base Andrews was locked down after the person was reported seen near the base’s housing area, according to the base’s Facebook page.
Staff Sgt. Jared Duhon, a spokesperson for the base, said no shots have been fired. There was no immediate report of any injuries and additional details were not immediately available.
Joint Base Andrews is home to the fleet of blue and white presidential aircraft, including Air Force One and the “doomsday” 747 aircraft that can serve as the nation’s airborne nuclear command and control centers if needed.
Last month, an intruder breached the base and gained access to part of the base’s housing complex. A resident opened fire on the trespasser. And in February 2021, a man got through the military checkpoint onto the installation, then through additional fenced secure areas to gain access to the flight line and climb into a C-40, which is the military’s 737-equivalent aircraft used to fly government officials.
“Security Forces foot and mobile patrols are out looking for the suspect,” the Facebook post read.
WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.