Fire above the former Black Olive restaurant was started by faulty A/C unit

A faulty air conditioner is being blamed for starting a June 14 fire above the now-closed Black Olive restaurant in Mt. Airy.

Capt. Jeffrey Thompson of the Philadelphia Fire Department says the fire originated on the second floor in the front room of 24 E. Mt. Airy Ave and not from the restaurant.

The cause of fire was an electric problem related to the A/C unit. Thompson said.

The fire damaged three apartments above the restaurant.

The Black Olive closed in this past winter and its owner Ina Walker was indicted in April on federal charges for allegedly defrauding a charter school.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.