The family of the girl killed at Howard High School in Wilmington last week says “sick people” are setting up bogus social media accounts claiming to be related to Amy Joyner-Francis.
In a statement issued via the Wilmington Police Department, Amy’s brother Anthony Joyner warned about both fake social media accounts and fundraising websites set up in the name of family members who are mourning last Thursday’s death of Amy Joyner-Francis.
“We are seeing many sick people out in the world who want to gain money and social fame off my family’s loss of Amy. We want everyone who is truly concerned for us not to fall victim to the scams going on out around the Internet,” Joyner said in the statement. He added that he is the only member of the family with a social media account.
People claiming to be Amy’s mother, father, or brothers online are fakes.
“We have not set up and will not set up any fundraisers or go fund me accounts, they are fake pages and accounts are spreading hateful lies, so please do not lose your money or entertain the lies of these cruel people,” Joyner said.
Donations may be made in Amy’s name through the Congo Funeral Home in Wilmington.
Last Friday, NewsWorks/WHYY reported on a fake GoFundMe account set up using Amy’s image.
Wilmington City Council member Sherry Dorsey Walker urged people not to donate to the bogus site. “Please understand that there is a loving family who is hurting after such a tragic loss,” Dorsey Walker said. “Please be respectful of the family and not use their loved one’s passing as an opportunity for capital gain.”
The family did thank the community for their support. “My family is a private family and are very hurt from this loss, we appreciate the outpouring of love from everyone and thank you all for the warm words towards my sister,” Anthony Joyner said.