The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society will honor community greening champions across the state and beyond this fall. The Community Greening Award, a collaboration of PHS and Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful, recognizes individuals, garden clubs, civic associations, businesses and community groups who have created and maintained public green spaces that enhance their communities.
Municipalities that have led tree-planting initiatives, combated storm water runoff, or pursued other ecological projects may also apply.
Nominations to enter the contest are due by July 15. They can be submitted online at PHSonline.org. Go to PHS Events and click on Community Greening Award. For more information, email PHS at email@example.com or call 215-988-8897.
Judges will evaluate the sites in July and August based on plant variety, design, use of space, and horticultural practices. PHS will notify winners in September. Sites that have been recognized in previous years may be evaluated for maintenance. All honorees are invited to an Awards Reception held in the fall.
Past award winners have included:
- Allentown PA, Allentown Garden Club Fragrance Garden
- Boyertown PA, Sandy Neiman Cancer Memorial Garden
- Brodheadsville PA, Beautification Project of the Western Pocono Women’s Club
- Doylestown PA, Delaware Valley College
- Ewing NJ, Antheil Elementary School
- Gettysburg PA, Gettysburg Garden Club Downtown Flower Project
- Girard PA, Wells Park
- Glen Mills PA, Maris Grove Community
- Haddon Heights NJ, Haddon Heights Community Garden
- Harrisburg PA, 7th Street Extention & Forster Garden
- Haverford PA, Haverford Station Road
- Horsham PA, Becci’s Herb Garden at The Keith House at Graeme Park
- Johnstown PA, Kernville Community Garden
- Langhorne PA, The Mayors’ Playground
- Levittown PA, Veterans Memorial Park
- Lewes DE, Gateway Garden to Lewes
- Palmyra NJ, Palmyra Cove Nature Park Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden
- Philadelphia PA, Chestnut Hill Garden District
- Philadelphia PA, Ellwood Elementary School
- Philadelphia PA, Germantown Friends School/Sustainable Urban Science Center
- Philadelphia PA, Oak Lane Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia
- Pittsburgh PA, Carnegie Museum Community Garden
- Pittsburgh PA, Columbus Avenue and Fulton Street Garden
- Pittsburgh PA, Spring Garden
- West Point PA, West Point Nursery
- Williamsport PA, Blue Star Memorial Marker
PHS recognizes greening and beautification efforts throughout the region that have benefitted communities. The Community Greening Award acknowledges the efforts of those who improve their main streets, public parks, train stations, churches, schoolyards, libraries, traffic islands and other sites.
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, a nonprofit organization founded in 1827, motivates and inspires people to improve the quality of life and build healthier communities through horticulture. Membership dues, donations and ticket sales from the Philadelphia International Flower Show make PHS programs possible. Membership in PHS includes free tickets to the Flower Show and other benefits.