Wednesday, the Philadelphia Art Commission made its impact felt about 400 feet over Philadelphia, when it granted final approval for the Zoo’s updated banner design on its brand new Zooballoon, which is scheduled to launch this spring.
The high-tech orb, which replaces an older model damaged by last year’s tough winter, and a one-season rental balloon, is produced by Lindstrand Hot Air Balloons Ltd., based in Oswestry, Shropshire in the United Kingdom.
Lindstrand has been building lighter-than-air craft on the same site for over 25 years and has its designs certified in 48 countries.
The Lindstrand HiFlyer: Company introduced its first HiFlyer in 1996 and has since manufactured and installed over 40 HiFlyers in 18 countries. The HiFlyer gondola can comfortably accommodate up to 30 passengers. The normal ride is 15 minutes and the typical passenger throughput is 100 per hour.
The Zoo addressed earlier concerns the Commission voiced about the design elements of the banner through the following adjustments:
- Increased the height of the banner to the full 33′ that is feasible
- Reduced the size of the Channel 6 logo
- Utilized the all-blue version of the Channel 6 logo
- Added the Zoo’s name to the banner
- Increased the saturation of the Zoo imagery to strenthen its impact
- Utilized the same blue in the Channel 6 logo and the Zoo imagery to harmonize the entire design.
Voyages last approximately ten minutes and cost $12 per person or $40 for a family 4-pack. Children under two ride for free. Family Deluxe and Contributor members pay $8 per ride.