Summer in Philadelphia means many kids have lots of free time on their hands. Here are 50 free and local ways to keep them busy and happy. And if you’re new to Philly or just stopping by for a visit, there are some great insider favorites in here too:
1. Spend the day climbing and twirling at Smith Playhouse.
2. Walk the Mural Mile Tour in Philadelphia 3. Run the hoses at the Fireman’s Hall Museum.
4. Hot out? Stomp around at a Sprayground.
5. Kids bowl free. All summer long!
6. Splash around in one of the Philadelphia Public Pools.
7. Hike the beautiful Wissahickon Trail.
8. Set your teen’s creativity loose in the Summer Youth Arts Workshop in Chinatown.
9. Take walk, jog, or bike ride along Boathouse Row and Kelly Drive.
10. Watch the coins roll at the U.S. Mint.
11. Ooooh and ahhh at the Friday night fireworks @ Penn’s Landing.
12. Get in the groove at one of the free concerts @ Penn’s Landing.
13. Take a Public Art Tour in West Philadelphia.
14. Dance the night away at a Night Market Philadelphia!
15. Swing and climb at a playground you’ve never visited before.
16. Spy on the birds at the John Heniz Wildlife Refuge.
17. Register for a free session of Apple Camp!
18. Catch fireflies in Rittenhouse Square.
19. Build something new at Lowe’s Build and Grow Workshop.
20. Hike and learn at the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education.
21. Catch frogs in Pastorius Park.
22. Spend the afternoon frolicking in Franklin Square.
23. Channel your inner Rocky and run up the Steps of the Art Museum!
24. Complete a Tour by Foot.
25. Enjoy Summer Meals for Kids and Teens.
26. Take in a Free Kids Concert at the Mann Music Center.
27. Bring a blanket and take in one of the Pastorius Park Concerts in Chestnut Hill
28. Go hands-on at the Please Touch Museum Target First Wednesdays from 6-8pm (not quite free, but only $3!)
29. Learn and grow at Wissahickon Environmental Education Center.
30. Send your tween or teen to lacrosse camp.
31. Marvel at the treescape in Awbury Arboretum.
32. Throw a frisbee in Fairmount Park.
33. VIsit Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.
34. Splash under the fishies in Swann Memorial Fountain.
35. Take sweet pictures at the LOVE Statue.
36. Do one of the seven Walking Tours in Philadelphia.
37. Check out Barnes & Noble Rittenhouse Children’s Activities.
38. Visit the beautiful Central Library.
39. Take your toddlers for a free ride on SEPTA!
40. Engage in free play on the parkway!
41. Send your teen to the Philadelphia Parks & Recreation Rowing Camp.
42. Check out The Muppets, Justin Beiber, or a Dolphin Tale at Screenings Under the Stars at Penn’s Landing.
43. Let the dog run free in Pretzel Park.
44. People watch on South Street during the day.
45. Help your school or daycare center to pick up FREE books from Books for Friends.
46. Take a picnic to Belmont Grove.
47. Visit one of the Free Library branches and check out their wonderful summer programming.
48. Bring some popcorn on Friday nights to the Mt. Airy Moonlight Movies.
49. Pay-what-you wish for admission on first Sunday at the Art Museum. Enjoy their wonderful Family Programs.
50. Spend the attending the fabulous events of the Welcome America! celebration.
Know of a freebie we forgot to include? Please leave a comment!
NW Philly Parents is a partnership between Newsworks and Germantown Avenue Parents.