Germantown’s W Rockland Street has been nominated for Philadelphia More Beautiful Committee’s annual city-wide Clean Block Contest. As part of the contest, W Rockland Street is also up for a Neighborhood Transformation Award.
The scheduled judging is tomorrow, Tuesday, October 4 at 2 p.m.
Over the years, W Rockland residents have experimented with different types of projects. Some successes from 2011 include:
- The ongoing transformation of three vacant lots, plagued by illegal dumping, into clean and green space.
- A block-wide beautification project dubbed Grow this Block! – a day on which over 20 households on W Rockland Street received flowers and vegetables, and tools and assistance to plant gardens in their front yards
- The tear-down of two blighted houses that plagued the community for over 15 years.
- An information filled community meeting attended by 75 neighbors with speakers from various city agencies such as the Streets Department, Philadelphia Police Department and 311
- Better and better block-wide cleanups, including increased resident participation in the annual Philly Spring Cleanup year after year
- Rockland Street Cat Health Day, an ongoing opportunity for residents to get low cost spay/neuter services which has resulted in the reduction of stray animals in the neighborhood
- A well attended block party of all block parties that featured games for kids, a dunk tank, original performances and spirited acknowledgments of long-time community residents
Contact: Emaleigh Doley