Here’s a look at stories that NewsWorks will cover this upcoming week in Northwest Philadelphia …
1. Mt. Airy’s Philadelphia Salvage Company and local non-profit Philadelphia Community Corps have partnered with La Salle Universtiy to remove nine vacant homes in Germantown to help revitalize the area. NewsWorks will tell you more about the project which is expected to launch in the coming weeks.
2. The Special Parents of Exceptional Children (SPEC), a parent-operated group with children of special needs, hosted a meeting examining “Children’s Rights to a Free Appropriate Public Education” at the Chestnut Hill Library this weekend. We’ll have a full report this upcoming week.
3. December’s edition of The Fallser will be the 247th and final issue edited by Julie Camburn. For the moment, the monthly community newspaper’s — part community bulletin, part news source — is a bit up in the air. Neighborhood stakeholders, including the East Falls Community Council and East Falls Development Corp., say they are “very interested” in keeping the paper alive. We’ll tell you more.
4. The MLK High Cougars football team faced off against the 9-1 Gratz Bulldogs on Friday night in the PIAA 4A district semifinals on Friday night. Win and the Cougars would be one game away from back-to-back Public League titles. Lose and all that’s left in the season is the Thanksgiving game against East Germantown’s Imhotep Cougars. A photo gallery and game recap is coming soon to NewsWorks.
5. The Philadelphia Education Fund will hold its 2014 EDDY Awards ceremony (at WHYY!) this week. Among the honorees is Justina McMinn, a rising senior at Roxborough High School. We’ll tell you more about the Rising Star EDDY Award winner in coming days.
6. Germantown Academy hosted the 128th annual PC/GA Day on Saturday. Among nine games played between GA Patriot and Penn Charter Quaker teams was the much-anticipated football showdown. Check back this week for scores, photos and more.
7. Bicycling in the freezing cold isn’t fun, is it? Well, NewsWorks parenting blogger Dena “Bikemamadelphia” Driscoll will offer some tips about how to improve your frigid-pedaling game.
8. The 21st Ward Veterans Association will host Veterans Day services starting 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Gorgas Park War Memorial in Roxborough. Look for mid-week coverage from the event.
Correction: The date of the EDDY Awards ceremony has been updated to this week. NewsWorks apologizes for any inconvenience.