Here’s a look at what’s to come this week:
1. The ACLU of Pennsylvania’s constitution-based challenge to the state’s controversial voter ID law will be heard in Commonwealth Court starting next Wednesday. NewsWorks will have coverage of the proceedings, but we’ll also have stories that will focus on the push to educate voters on the new measure. Check back next week to learn more about the start of what will be an ongoing effort running up to this year’s Presidential election.
2. Eighteen local students with Manayunk’s Starfinder soccer program recently traveled to Gothenburg, Sweden to compete in the Gothia Cup. They’ll return from Europe this week. NewsWorks will catch up with the squad to learn about their trip and how they fared.
3. The Chestnut Community Association will hold its annual picnic in honor of police, firefighters and postal workers. The Wednesday evening event will take place inside Pastorious Park and will be followed by a concert by the Hot Club of Philadelphia. That ensemble will perform as part of the CHCA’s Summer Concert Series. NewsWorks will be on hand for both events.
4. The 9th Annual Taking it to the Streets Festival was held Saturday in West Oak Lane. The event, sponsored by state Rep. Dwight Evans and the Mt. Airy Church of God in Christ featured rides, games, music and medical screenings, among other things. Check back next week for a recap of the Ogontz Avenue event.
5. Ministry Day was held Saturday at the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Mount Airy. The all-day event featured, among other things pastor- and- professor-led workshops and opportunities to meet emerging preachers and church leaders. Check back next week to learn more about the annual event.