A plain metal (lead) box, no adornment, not even a handle.
But Greg Peltzer, building operations manager at Falls Center, the former MCP Hospital site on Henry Avenue in East Falls, realized immediately what it was.
The box had been found inside a wall next to the 1929 cornerstone of the original hospital building, which was undergoing renovations and being fitted with apartments for Philadelphia University students arriving in August.
Inside the box was a treasure trove of memorabilia, each a snippet of life in 1930 when it was determined the box had been sealed and placed.
There were five different Philadelphia newspapers, a copy of the Saturday Evening Post plus brochures, photos and memorabilia of students and graduates of the Medical College’s former location on College Avenue in Center City.
Jason Friedland, Director of Operations for Iron Stone Real Estate, which owns the former hospital’s site, was flabbergasted at the find. Greg had notified Jason immediately; it was Jason who opened the box and realized what a treasure trove had been unearthed.
Jason invited The Fallser to see the contents of the box which he had laid out for display in the main building’s entrance, and to witness the official signing of a letter turning the contents over to Drexel University’s College of Medicine Legacy Center on Queen Lane. The Legacy Center maintains the archives of the Women’s Medical College.
If you are interested in visiting the center and viewing the archives, contact the Legacy Center located at 2900 W. Queen Lane in East Falls by phone: 215-991-8340; e-mail: email@example.com; or online at http://archives.drexelmed.edu