We continue our Streetviews video series with architect Kiki Bolender, talking about rowhouse strength, the need to invest in democratic spaces like parks and libraries, the woeful pettiness of our politics, and Philly as “the laboratory for the perfect American city.”
- Kiki Bolender: Architect and chair of Design Advocacy Group
- Neighborhood: Rittenhouse
- Favorite Place: Rittenhouse Square is “one of the great urban public spaces of the world.”
- Three words to describe Philly: Real. Urban. Rivers.
- Local Heroes: (1) Beth Miller of the Community Design Collaborative, “because they really take high level design to the neighborhoods” (2) “My heroes have always been journalists… In your generation I would say you for the things you do beyond work and how much you’re committed to it and Jared Brey… he’s always on his way to another damn zoning hearing and stays interested in it, so you guys would be my heroes of your generation. Then I would have to say Sandy Shea at the Daily News for her generation and probably Chris Satullo at WHYY. You guys keep on telling it like it is and you keep on seeming that you love it personally.” [Ed note: Jared and I appreciate the acknowledgement.]