Search resumes for missing swimmer off Sandy Hook beach

The search has resumed for a swimmer who vanished off Sandy Hook.

Gateway National Recreation Area spokeswoman Daphne Yun says the 25-year-old was seen in distress in the water around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Authorities spent hours looking for the man before suspending the search.

Yun says there had been two groups of swimmers in the water without the supervision of lifeguards. Guards are on duty from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.