Red light cameras coming to two Far Northeast intersections
The Far Northeast will get two additional red light cameras. That was one of the bigger announcements at last week’s Somerton Civic Association.
Councilman Brian O’Neill said two busy intersections — Grant Avenue and Academy Road and Bustleton Avenue and Byberry Road — will be among the many Northeast corners to have red light cameras.
Zoning and crime updates took precedence during the second half of the meeting. Those details are below.
1065 Sandmeyer Lane: a vacant auto repair shop needs a variance for office and warehouse space
- Some neighbors objected about noise complaints, but owners assured the business will never be open past 6 p.m. and there will be no auto sales
- 26 people voted in favor of the variance, and only 8 opposed.
- A provision was included to make sure all cars are taken inside at night
10158 Bustleton Ave: owners propose using the building as an office for off-site hospice care business
- The owners want to use the residential property as an office space for their business, which would require removing the current troublesome tenants
- The Civic Association expressed concern over turning homes on Bustleton Avenue into businesses, while neighbors questioned why the owners promised to clean the property up only after removing the tenants
- Members unanimously opposed the variance and encouraged the owners to clean up the property regardless of its use
Rich Simon, community relations officer for the 7th District, warned neighbors to be aware of suspects who have been siphoning gas from cars in the upper part of the neighborhood. He encouraged members to attend Tuesday night’s meeting with Capt. Joe Zaffino at 6 p.m. at CORA on Verree Road.
The Somerton Civic Association will take its summer recess and meet again Sept. 13 at 7:30 p.m. at the Walker Lodge on Southampton Road.
WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.