Pottsgrove children shocked by electrically charged batting cage

    Authorities in Lower Pottsgrove are investigating how a live electrical junction box became attached to a batting cage and caused two young girls to be shocked.

    The 7- and 8-year-olds were taken to the hospital yesterday when they made contact with the charged cage.

    The Pottstown Mercury reports the girls appeared fine after the incident, which took place during a baseball game between Pottsgrove and Spring-Ford high schools.

    A Pottsgrove lieutenant explains how the circuit box for the batting machine caused the shock: “For some reason, there was no circuit in it. The wires were bare. They were pushed in the box. The hot wires were touching the junction box, which in turn was attached to the frame of the batting box.”

    • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

    What’s unclear is why the box was in that condition.

    WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal