Doctors at an area trauma center are examining a three-year-old who ingested water from the Barnegat Bay in Harvey Cedars Tuesday afternoon, police said.
The child, who was alert and never lost consciousness at the West 75th Street bayfront, was flown to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune by a MONOC medevac after being evaluated by the Barnegat Light First Aid Squad, according to a release by Det. Robert Burnaford.
Burnaford said that the child was transported to the hospital as a precaution.
“It had nothing to do with the water quality. The child was just playing in the water and ingested too much,” he said.
Harvey Cedars Officer Anthony Abbatemarco and Chief Tom Preiser responded and were assisted by the Harvey Cedars Beach Patrol and the Barnegat Light First Aid Squad.
No additional information was immediately available.