Man suffers burns to over half his body in Asbury Park garage fire

    Asbury Park Fire Department image.

    Asbury Park Fire Department image.

    Authorities say a man suffered serious burns to more than half of his body when a fire broke out at a residential property in Asbury Park on Christmas Eve. 

    The fire started around 10:30 a.m. Saturday in a detached garage at the Fourth Avenue home in the city’s Northwest section. 

    Authorities say the man was taken Jersey Shore Medical Center in Neptune before being transferred to the burn unit at Saint Barnabas Hospital in Livingston, but further details on his condition were not immediately available. His name also has not been disclosed.

    Investigators say it’s not clear what sparked the blaze. But officials say the fire isn’t considered suspicious.

    Authorities say oxygen and acetylene tanks were found in the 20-foot by 40-foot garage, which was being used to repair vehicles.

    Firefighters kept the fire from spreading beyond the garage, authorities say. In addition to the Asbury Park Fire Department, units from Long Branch and Deal also responded.

    No other injuries were reported.

    —————————————————————-

    The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.