In recent weeks, talk during Quizzo Night at Billy Murphy’s Irish Saloonery in East Falls often returned to a recent visit from mayoral candidate Doug Oliver who played a trivia round and fielded campaign-related questions from the assembled crowd.
On Tuesday night, many returned to hear what candidate Jim Kenney would have to say in a similar role.
Despite his previously announced appearance, however, a pair of mayoral forums ate up a considerable amount of his time to the point that an 8:15 p.m. arrival became 8:45 p.m. which became, per his staff, “we’re starting to worry that he might not be able to make it,” which then became “we’re soooo sorry but he can’t make it tonight. Does next week work?”
Knowing the candidates’ rigorous campaign schedules, this was understandable, though some of those in attendance were disappointed.
Upon sharing this news, the Quizzo questions written specifically for Kenney’s appearance were then read with a simple caveat: If you came to see Kenney, feel free to write a sentence or two about how his absence makes you feel.
Some of those responses were not fit for print. These, however, were:
— “As a first-time voter in Philadelphia, I was disappointed to not be able to discuss some issues with him face-to-face. People at Murphy’s were disappointed. Could this translate into a bigger issue if he became mayor?” — Trevor Dority
— “Pissing off a bunch of young 20- and 30-year-olds can’t possibly end well for the probable future mayor.” — from team “I Ate The Bones”
Despite Kenney’s absence, we went ahead with the Kenney round anyhow, with each of the 12 teams topping the candidate’s 0/10 score.
Interested in seeing how you’d fare? The questions (and answers) are listed below.
UPDATE: As for that later-date appearance, it looks like Kenney will drop by Murphy’s around 9 p.m. on April 28, with Milton Street coming in on May 5.
The Kenney Quizzo Round Questions
All questions and answers have something to do with a Jim, Kenney or Kenny.
1. Jim Parsons portrays Sheldon Cooper on what CBS sitcom?
2. What product did the menu at Kenny Rogers restaurant chain initially center around?
a) Pulled pork
b) Wood-fired rotisserie chicken
c) Fried chicken
d) Fish and chips
3. Jim Morrison is buried in Pere Lachaise Cemetery in what European city?
4. Within 10, how many times has Kenny died in the South Park franchise?
5. Name the two cranky old-heads who sit in the balcony on the old Muppet show (created by Jim Henson)?
a) Statler and Waldorf
b) Bud and Lou
c) Ren and Stimpy
d) Randolph and Mortimer
6. Actress, married to Kenny Chesney, who starred in Jerry Maguire, Bridget Jones’ Diary and Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation.
7. In the 80s, Jim J. Bullock, Hollywood Squares alum, was on a TV about an alien named Gordon Shumway. What was Gordon’s stage name?
8. Cheryl James is part of what famous rap trio with a two-person name?
9. What color is Ren’s VW bug in the original Footloose (a film with Kenny Loggins on its soundtrack)?
10. Finish this lyric from Jim Croce’s Bad Bad Leroy Brown:
And it’s bad, bad Leroy Brown The baddest man in the whole damned town Badder than _____________ And meaner than _______________.
The Kenney Quizzo Round Answers
1) The Big Bang Theory. 2) Wood-fired rotisserie chicken. 3) Paris. 4) 103. 5) Statler and Waldorf. 6) Renee Zellweger. 7) Alf. 8) Salt-n-Pepa. 9) Yellow. 10) old King Kong; a junkyard dog.