Roxborough High bullying update

The Philadelphia school district has confirmed that there were two male victims in the Monday morning bullying attack at Roxborough High School and the male students accused of the harassment have been suspended.  

 

The school district would not disclose how many students were suspended but said the school’s principal held an assembly today, to address the incident. 

 

Jerry Jordan, President of the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers, said that’s a good start.

 

“It requires daily follow up and that’s where, many times, certain schools fall down, they do not have the necessary support in a building to follow up and make sure the young people are adhering to the rules,” Jordan said. 

 

Jordan added that he’s not sure Roxborough High School has the resources and school budget to guarantee that students have ample support.  

 

The school district would not disclose exactly what happened, but media reports say the two victims were stripped of their clothes and photographed by upperclassmen in the locker room. 

 

The school district said there’s no indication so far that any videos or photos of the attack have been posted online. 

 

Jordan said the fact that these attacks could be posted on the Web takes this type of incident to a whole new level. 

 

“That means it will be in cyberspace forever and it means that these young men, for the rest of their lives, will have to deal with this,” Jordan said. 

 

The families of the victims have been told about the options available to the students in regard to transfers and counseling services.  

 

“We take all incidents of harassment and hazing very seriously. We’re trying to make sure the students get all the support they need,” district spokeswoman Shana Kemp, said.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.