Burning candle causes Wilmington apartment fire

     Foxwoods apartment fire displaces more than 15 residents. (John Jankowski for Newsworks)

    Foxwoods apartment fire displaces more than 15 residents. (John Jankowski for Newsworks)

    Foxwoods apartment fire displaces more than 15 residents.

    Candle igniting combustibles caused an apartment fire in Wilmington that displaced more than a dozen residents Wednesday night, according to the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office.

    The fire, which officials say was accidental, began shortly before 9 p.m. Wednesday night at the Foxwood Apartments in Wilmington.

    Aetna Hose Hook and Ladder Company of Newark responded to the scene and found smoke and fire in the rear of the building, and the Fire Marshal’s Office determined it started in a second-floor apartment.

    No injuries were reported, but the fire caused about $100,000 worth of damage and between 16 and 20 residents were displaced and assisted by the Red Cross.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.