We recently stumbled across a great facebook page called Ya know you’re from Roxborough/Manayunk when:, which is a blog that celebrates the little things in Roxborough and Manayunk that longtime residents can relate to. Posts on the 1,353-member page include anything from the way residents speak to the man that used to sell pretzels along Ridge Avenue. Check out our favorite 10 posts here and add your own in the comment section at the bottom of the page.
– When you say crick instead of creek
– Ya remember this
– You go to the top of the wall at midnight before the bike race to watch the “other” race
Diane Pierson Hofman
– When you tell people you’re from ROXBER, that’s how ya say it
– You remember getting a drink of water on a hot day from Freddie’s spring at Levering and Tower
Kathleen McDevitt Doyle
– Your phone number used to start out with “Ivy Ridge 2” or “Ivy Ridge 3”
Kim Slater Vetter
– You rode a tarzan swing down by the canal or at the top of the turtle
– Walking your bike up Fountain and then riding down it, sans helmet, at (what felt like) 100 mph.
– You know which direction to go if someone said “up the Ridge” or “down the Ridge”
– When the old Germany priest from St. Mary’s would come by to bless your house and stay for a cocktail.