Good Samaritan rescues man after explosion rips front off Northeast Philly home

Philadelphia firefighters could be seen pouring water onto the exposed front of the home in the area of Levick and Walker streets.

The scene of an apparent explosion at a Tacony home.

The scene of an apparent explosion at a Tacony home. (NBC10)

This story originally appeared on NBC10.

A good Samaritan rushed in and saved an injured man after an explosion ripped the front of a Northeast Philadelphia row home.

The blast happened around 1:20 p.m. Tuesday at a home along Algard and Levick streets.

“It was like a big bang,” Marion Truszo, a neighbor, told NBC10.

  • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

Dozens of firefighters responded to the scene and poured water onto the exposed front of the house.

“Our units arrived to find the front of a building missing and collapsed and the second floor heavily involved in fire,” Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Adam Thiel said.

Rakym Dyer told NBC10 he was visiting the neighborhood at the time of the fire. He then realized a 61-year-old man was inside the home.

“I heard him crying and screaming so I went to help him out the best I could,” Dyer said. “There was fire on the steps so I had to put the fire out on the steps first. Then I had to put him out when I went upstairs because he was on fire so I put him out with the extinguisher. Then I picked him up, put him on my shoulder and I came downstairs.”

The 61-year-old man was rushed to the hospital with undisclosed injuries. He is currently in stable condition.

“I can’t believe I went in there. But once I heard people screaming, I wanted to go help him,” Dyer said. “I would want someone to help my mom or my grand pop or somebody like that. Or my friend.”

A second man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, police said.

SkyForce10 was over the scene shortly after 1:30 p.m. Debris and bricks were scattered all over the front lawn. By 2 p.m., any fire appeared to be out.

Both neighboring homes also appeared to have some exterior damage.

“We’re thankful this incident had as positive an outcome as it could have,” Commissioner Thiel said.

The cause of the blast was under investigation. PGW crews were on the scene, police said.

Get the WHYY app!

WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal