The last five members of the committee charged with revamping Philadelphia’s outdated zoning code have finally been chosen by Mayor Michael Nutter.
They are: Judith Eden, Natalia Olson de Savyckyj, Guillermo Salas, Sam Staten Jr. and Daniela Voith.
Philadelphians voted to establish the Zoning Code Commission in a city-wide referendum last year. It has a big job. The city’s zoning code, hundreds of pages long, has not been overhauled since 1962. But it has been amended again and again. The commission is to replace the current confusion with an easier-to-follow guide – a smart, logical, fair roadmap to Philadelphia’s development future.
The original legislation gave the mayor (John Street waited until his last weekend in office to make his selections, which were washed out by Nutter) and city council president five ZCC appointments each. Those 10 picks must include two building trades leaders, two urban planners, two attorneys with zoning experience, two architects and two real estate developers.
City Council President Anna Verna also selected the three representatives from council.
Council members each made one appointment, as do five chambers of commerce: Greater Philadelphia, Greater Northeast, Philadelphia African-American, Philadelphia Asian-American and Philadelphia Hispanic.
The law also states the Commission must include the Commissioner of Licenses & Inspections (John Elfrey) and the Chairman of the Zoning Board of Adjustment (Susan Jaffe). And head of the City Planning Commission, acting director Gary Jastrzab, serves as chairperson.
The ZCC will hold its first fully staffed meeting at 8 a.m. next Wednesday in the 18th floor conference room of the One Parkway Building, 1515 Arch Street. The meeting is open to the public.
Zoning Code Commission Appointees
1) Gary Jastrzab, Acting Executive Director City Planning Commission. – Appointed by Legislation.
2) Susan Jaffe, Chair of the Zoning Board of Adjustments. – Appointed by Legislation.
3) John Elfrey, Commissioner Licenses & Inspections. – Appointed by Legislation.
4) John Binswanger, Chairman Binswanger & Co. – Appointed by Mark Schweiker, Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. (Denise Early – Alternate).
5) Delilah Winder, Executive Director African American Chamber of Commerce. – Appointed by African American Chamber of Commerce. (Luther Weaver – Alternate).
6) Narasimha (Nick) Shenoy, Executive Director Asian American Chamber of Commerce. – Appointed by Asian American Chamber of Commerce. (Julie Wong – Alternate).
7) Varsovia Fernandez, Executive Director Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. – Appointed by Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. (Guillermo Salas Jr. – Alternate).
8) Al Taubenberger, Chairman Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. – Appointed by Greater Northeast Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce. (No alternate appointed at this point).
9) Councilman Frank DiCicco, City Councilman District 1. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
10) Councilman Darrell Clarke, City Councilman District 5. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
11) Councilman Brian O’Neill, City Councilman District 10. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
12) John Westrum, CEO Westrum Development Co. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
13) Emanuel Kelly, Principal Kelly Maiello Architects. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
14) Eleanore Sharpe, Associate Director University of Pennsylvania Center for Community Partnerships. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
15) Guy Pigliacelli, Council Representative Local 1050 Carpenters & Joiners. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
16) Ann Hoskins-Brown, Director of Development MANNA. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
17) Richard DeMarco, Klehr, Harrison, Harvey, Branzburg & Ellers. – Appointed by Anna Verna.
18) Greg Pastore, Bella Vista Town Watch. – Appointed By Frank DiCicco.
19) Darwin Beauvais, Klehr, Harrison, Harvey, Branzburg & Ellers. – Appointed by Jannie Blackwell.
20) MeLinda DeNofa, President Molly Construction Co. – Appointed by Carol Campbell.
21) Peter Kelson, Blank Rome LLP. – Appointed by Joan Krajewski.
22) Anne Papageorge, University of Pennsylvania. – Appointed by Daniel Savage.
23) Wendella Fox, U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights. – Appointed by Donna Reed Miller.
24) Marion Johnson, Legislative Aide to Councilwoman Marian Tasco. – Appointed by Marian Tasco.
25) Michael Leithead, Senior Deputy Executive Director Philadelphia Housing Authority. – Appointed by Brian O’Neill.
26) Andrew Toy, Enterprise Center. – Appointed by Darrell Clarke.
27) Judith Eden is a zoning attorney in private practice. She served as a member of the Zoning Board of Adjustment for four years. – appointed by Mayor Nutter.
28) Natalia Olson de Savyckyj is a Transportation Planner and Project Manager at the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) – appointed by Mayor Nutter.
29) Guillermo Salas is the Co-founder of the Hispanic Association of Contractors and Enterprises (HACE), a local non-profit community economic development corporation. – appointed by Mayor Nutter.
30) Sam Staten Jr. is Business Manager and Political Director for Local 332 of the Laborers Union. – appointed by Mayor Nutter.
31) Daniela Voith is a Principal at Voith & Mactavish Architects LLP, an architecture, preservation, planning, landscape, and interiors firm. – appointed by Mayor Nutter.