Wilmington celebrates the re-opening of a high rise apartment building that was closed following a major fire in 2006.
Nearly four years after a fire forced 147 residents from a Wilmington apartment building, city officials celebrated the grand re-opening of the Crestview Apartments High Rise Tower on North Market Street.
The 2006 fire was blamed on a resident who was accused of smoking crack over an open flame. Fire fighters had some difficulty getting the fire under control in part because the building was not equipped with a sprinkler system.
Since then, the building has undergone a $7 million renovation, which includes a new fire suppression system and emergency backup generators and lighting.
City officials say the response was one of the largest in city history for a residential emergency. All residents in the high rise were temporarily housed in shelters provided by local and state agencies, churches, community groups and volunteers.