What to do when children are estranged

After a divorce, legal agreements typically regulate how parents will split their time with their children–but what happens when a child refuses to see a parent?

During and after a bitter divorce where partners are angry with each other, children often side with one parent, says psychologist  Richard Warshak. He is speaking at the Moorestown Library this Sunday, and will offer tips for parents dealing with enstrangement.

Warshak encourages partners to not “poison” their children against each other, and to try to work through their differences for the sake of the kids.

Warshak’s advice for parents who have been estranged from their children is to keep trying to reestablish their relationship. “These children, when they look back, when they know that the parent never gave up on them, that’s very important when they finally decide to reconnect with that parent.”

In addition to discussing divorce, Warshak will also address other situations where children are estranged from their parents, or reject their families. He Will speak at 2 p.m. For further information, call 856-234-0333.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal