Here’s a look at what is coming up this week in Northwest Philly:
1. Things were off to a slow start for the Planet Fitness on Ridge Avenue in Roxborough but the new gym opened late in 2013. Check back this week for a look at how business is going at the fitness center and what kind of activity it’s bringing to the Ridge Avenue cooridor.
2. We’ll take a look at Ken Weinstein’s Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill Teachers Fund — a grant for teachers in the area looking for supplemental funding. Last year, the fund supported the recording of a CD at Houston Elementary that focused on anti-bullyng efforts.
3. A string of robberies that hit Mt. Airy in the fall culminated in the arrest of 33-year-old Gary Corbett, who is being charged with five robberies that took place over the course of just over two weeks. Check back this week for an update on his court hearings.
4. Green Woods Charter School’s Roxborough campus will be performing its ribbon cutting ceremony on Monday morning. The school’s new home on Domino Lane will start of by holding a student body of 475, which administrators expect to grow to 675 — the building capacity — by 2017. Check back on Monday afternoon for a full recap of the opening ceremonies.
5. NewsWorks is starting off the year by profiling some of the biggest names in Northwest Philadelphia youth sports. Check out profiles of the trio of Northwest Raiders coaches and Ed Dunn of the MLK Cougars, and then come back this week to see who is up next on the list.