Rusty pipes found at Wilmington apartment complex where 4 died

    (Evergreen Apartments at Riverfront Heights photo)

    (Evergreen Apartments at Riverfront Heights photo)

    Rusted and collapsed pipes were found in the boiler room at a Wilmington apartment complex, where four people were found dead last week. 

    The News Journal reported officials with Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control toured the Evergreen Apartments at Riverfront Heights on Monday. 

    The exhaust pipes are designed to vent carbon monoxide from the boiler, but Alex Rittberg, the department’s environmental programs administrator, said the exhaust system in the building forced wasted gas from the boiler to enter the mechanical room.

    The mechanical room is situated directly beneath the two apartments in building G where the people died.

    Law enforcement officials have said that high levels of carbon monoxide were present, but have not yet ruled on an official cause of death.

    The four victims from last week’s incident were identified as:

    60-year-old Carl Dunfee from building G
    58-year-old Veronica Mousely from building G
    72-year-old Andrew Spanakos from building G
    56-year-old Nancy Uniacke from building G (different apartment than the previous three)

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.