Prosecutors have refiled felony sex-assault charges against a suspended Philadelphia priest, days after a judge dropped them for lack of evidence.
A city judge had found the victim’s testimony at a preliminary hearing last week failed to support the most serious charges against the Rev. Andrew McCormick. The judge upheld misdemeanor charges, including indecent exposure and indecent assault.
But prosecutors insist the 56-year-old priest’s actions amount to felony sexual assault.
The 25-year-old accuser says McCormick molested him at his rectory in 1997, when the boy was 10.
The charges refiled Tuesday include sexual assault and deviate intercourse.
Defense lawyer William Brennan says he’s disappointed by the prosecutors’ decision, but is ready to defend the case.
McCormick remains free on bail. It’s not yet clear when he’ll return to court.