Updated: Five-alarm fire in Burholme

UPDATE –  The fire was caused by a candle, according to a report from the Inquirer.

A five-alarm fire broke out early yesterday morning in a Burholme apartment complex, leaving several people injured, and forcing many more out of their homes.

The fire began shortly after 4:30 Sunday morning, and although the fire department was on the scene in just minutes, the Austin Manor apartments at 7024 Rising Sun Ave. were already engulfed in flames. Residents of the building’s 41 units were evacuated, and those with injuries transported to area hospitals. Those unable to exit safely chose to jump from windows.

The Red Cross has set up a temporary shelter at Northeast High School for displaced residents. Some residents suffered minor injuries and smoke inhalation, while others are in critical condition with severe burns.

Fire inspectors have not yet determined the cause of the blaze, but a five-alarm fire, which was sparked by a candle, destroyed the same building in Oct. 2001.

Action News has video from the scene.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.