Animal welfare officials in southern New Jersey are investigating the deaths of five dogs that ate toxic meat they found on the ground at a former sand plant property in rural Cumberland County, the AP reports.
Cumberland County SPCA director Bev Greco said the dogs experienced seizures and died within minutes after ingesting the balls of meat. The first two deaths occurred Feb. 13. The latest two were reported Wednesday by an owner who said the dogs died a few days earlier.
Greco said tests turned up negative for arsenic and strychnine, and it’s not certain what poison was used.
She told The Press of Atlantic City that officials think someone may have set out the poisoned meat to try to kill coyotes.
The SPCA is warning dog owners to avoid the area.