The construction of the long-awaited protective steel sheeting piling wall, stretching from Mantoloking to Brick, will commence in June, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Bob Martin announced.
The state awarded a $23.8 million publicly bid contract to EIC Associates of Springfield Township in Union County, requiring completion within 180 days.
The project is expected to complement an engineered beach and dune system planned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, bolstering protection from future storm surges for nine coastal towns on the northern Ocean County peninsula, Commissioner Martin said.
“This is another key component of the Christie Administration’s commitment to a full coastal protection system for New Jersey,’’ said Commissioner Martin. “We are eager for this important project to get started, as it will help safeguard a narrow segment of coastline that was breached during Superstorm Sandy. It is paramount that we lessen the vulnerabilities to future storms.’’
The federal government will cover 80 percent of the cost of the sea wall, which will consist of 45-foot high steel sheets that will be driven 30 feet into the ground on the landward slope of the dune system to be constructed by the Army Corps, according to the DEP. The state will fund the remaining 20 percent of the project costs.
“The Township of Brick is eager to protect the residents and infrastructure of the barrier island, as well as the mainland section of town which was inundated by flooding due to breaches along the Route 35 corridor,” said Brick Mayor John G. Ducey.
Mantoloking Mayor George C. Nebel is also excited for the project to get underway.
“This project, coupled with the upcoming Army Corps replenishment project, will not only protect the important tourism corridor of Route 35, it will give peace of mind for homeowners who want to begin rebuilding so that they can move on and enjoy the Shore once again,” Nebel said.