Clogged chimney flue caused Upper Darby woman’s CO death

    Police say the death of an Upper Darby woman was caused by a clogged chimney flue that filled her house with carbon monoxide.

    The Delware County Times reports Anna Mae Croumbley, 22, was found in the basement of her home in the early morning hours after the neighbor’s CO alarm triggered emergency response. Her parents and brother, asleep on a different floor of the home, were just minutes from their own death.

     

    A CO meter reading of 35 parts per million is considered dangerous. The neighboring house with the alarm gave a 100 PPM in the living room and 300 PPM in the basement, while the Croumbley’s house had readings of 1,400 PPM in the living room and 2,000 PPM in the basement.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.