Christie, legislative leaders advance plan for North Jersey casinos

Atlantic City might lose its distinction as the only host for casinos in New Jersey.

Gov. Chris Christie and legislative leaders announced agreement Monday on a compromise to get a constitutional amendment before state voters to decide if two casinos could be built in North Jersey.

Senate President Sweeney and Assembly Speaker Prieto plan to make it a priority in the new session that starts Tuesday.  

It’s basically the plan proposed in the Senate that would require 51 percent of the new casinos to be owned by an existing Atlantic City casino company. Partners could make up the other 49 percent.

The compromise aimed at getting Assembly approval would require at least a billion-dollar investment  in each of the new casinos to make them “destination casinos” instead of “slots in a box.”


Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Help us get to 100% of our membership goal to support the reporters covering our region, the producers bringing you great local programs and the educators who teach all our children.