Charles W. Cullen was a former chairman of the agency in charge of Delaware’s roads in the 1930’s. His name will now be attached to the link that connects Delaware’s lower beaches over the Indian River inlet in Sussex County.
The official dedication Sunday was complete with another Delaware bridge tradition: “the walk over”. Pedestrians, cyclists, and anyone else who wanted to use a non-motorized form of transportation were given an opportunity to take a trip over the bridge from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Families and state leaders took advantage of the picture perfect day for the bridge dedication. The bridge is a mirror image of the Roth bridge that spans the C&D canal in New Castle County. Cullen was a part of the Delaware Highway Commission in the 1930’s. As chair in 1938, he oversaw the installation of one of the first bridges over the Indian River inlet.
To read more about the plans for the bridge and information surrounding the demolition of the temporary bridge that has been in place for several years, check out our content partner, Coastal Point.