Candidates apply to join N.J. State Police

    Some 7,091 people have started filling out forms in the first 24 hours since the New Jersey State Police started accepted new applications for the first time in more than two years.

    About half of those have been completed and submitted.

    State Police Lt. Stephen Jones say about 82percent  have prequalified. Jones says the remaining 18 percent are ineligible because of age, education or criminal records.

    The New Jersey State Police announced in April it would start accepting job applications for its next class of troopers.

    • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

    The agency has been reaching out to encourage diverse applicants. Whites make up 82 percent of the nearly 2,800 troopers in the state. Blacks make up 6 percent and Hispanics 9 percent.

    Applications will be accepted online until 5 p.m. on May 29.

    WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal