The Church of the Assumption, 1133 Spring Garden St., has been listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places, halting plans for demolition by its owner, the non-profit social services organization Siloam.
The church was added to the Register by the Philadelphia Historical Commission on May 8. Andrew Palewski, a neighborhood resident, has led a battle to preserve the structure, which was built in 1848 by Patrick Charles Keely, a prolific ecclesiastical architect. Palewski gathered the support of the West Poplar and Callowhill communities, and he argued that the church was a neighborhood landmark and “cherished cultural asset.”
Siloam, a wellness center for people living with HIV/AIDS, had purchased the property from the Archdiocese several years ago and had planned to raze the building for parking and other uses.
Posted by Alan Jaffe