By Brandon Gollotti
For Plan Philly
A 19th Century building on the University of Pennsylvania campus is currently undergoing a renovation and expansion to provide a fitting and sustainable home for the School of Arts and Sciences’ top-ranked Department of Music.
View of Music Building Looking Northwest.
Originally built in 1890 as an orphanage, the building was bought by the University in the 1900s and has eventually come to house the Music Department. A project of PennConnects, the University’s Master Plan, The Music Building’s existing historical structure will be restored and the expansion will include faculty offices, classrooms, and practice rooms.
Rendering of a practice room.
The $13-million project by Ann Beha Architects is going to provide the University with another example of sustainable design. The Music Building renovation and expansion is seeking LEED Silver Certification and has numerous “green” features and construction practices. Some are:
• Capture 90% of storm water runoff;
• Diversion up to 95% of construction waste from a landfill;
• Use of building material with up to 20% of recycled material; and
• Use of building materials from local sources.
It is expected that The Music Building will be completed in the Fall of 2009.
View from 34th Street.
View looking North.
View looking West.
View looking South.