WHYY: Think you know? Think again.
WHYY: We are your public media and community connection.
WHYY is your local NPR and PBS affiliate, serving greater Philadelphia, Delaware and southern New Jersey. We offer the best in public radio and television, and online offerings along with vital community events, local reporting and community outreach. We are member supported and here to serve and connect you.
WHYY’s award-winning newsroom is committed to local, independent, fact-based reporting that’s rooted in your community.
- Gun Violence Prevention reporting shares stories about people affected by gun violence, uplifting potential solutions and holding government agencies accountable.
- Election coverage includes in-depth reporting on the candidates and issues in PA, NJ and DE, including voter guides and election results.
Environmental reporting shares news on climate change and regional dangers and solutions as they emerge.
- PlanPhilly and Billy Penn offer in-depth coverage of all things Philly!
WHYY-TV 12 and Streaming
Watch live on TV, watch online or stream on the PBS video app.
Our TV programs and news provide viewers with world-class information and entertainment.
- Local and national documentaries highlight and amplify voices of our Black and Brown communities including specials like American Masters: Roberta Flack, Ken Burns’ Muhammad Ali, Harriet Tubman: Visions of Freedom and so much more.
- The PBS NewsHour is one of the most trusted names in broadcast news. And series like Frontline and Independent Lens take a more in-depth look at current issues.
- NOVA and Nature examine cutting-edge science and the beauty of the natural world.
- Critically acclaimed dramas have a home here, from the period pieces on Masterpiece to British mysteries and humor.
- WHYY original productions showcase the region’s arts, food and museum scenes on You Oughta Know, On Stage at Curtis and Check, Please! Philly.
- PBS Kids connects the young people in our region to vital education and learning.
- And, WHYY Passport streaming service offers WHYY Members a wide range of amazing shows on-demand.
WHYY-FM 90.9 News & Entertainment
Listen live on the radio or stream on the WHYY app or WHYY.org.
WHYY-FM is the Greater Philadelphia’s #1 NPR affiliate for international and national news and programming. We’re also proud to bring you local stories from a robust staff of local WHYY reporters.
WHYY also hosts fan favorites like This American Life and Fresh Air with Terry Gross, a news and culture interview show created right here in our studios.
We produce local programs that help you connect with your community.
- New! The Connection with Marty Moss-Coane, featuring unique and wide-ranging conversations about developing a richer understanding of the bonds that unite us, the forces that can drive us apart, the possibilities that life offers all of us and the qualities that make us unique and human.
- Studio 2, a new hour-long show that offers our listeners a lunchtime live update of the news impacting our region, plus listener call-ins, arts, interviews and fun.(Starting Monday, March 27!)
- The Pulse, with Maiken Scott, is WHYY’s health and science radio show, bringing breakthroughs and global issues down to a human scale.
Stream our podcasts here…or find them wherever you find your podcasts. Watch us on YouTube.
WHYY produces compelling, original podcasts.
- The Statue examines Philly’s Rocky Statue, its significance to locals and visitors and what a statue celebrating a fictional boxer tells us about how we memorialize some stories over others.
- Serum tells the story of Dr. Gary Davis and his mission to find a cure for AIDS and uncovers a tangled web of global connections, suspicion and hope.
- March On: The Fight for Pride explores the dissolution of the organization that ran Philly’s biggest LGBTQ events and the new group trying to create an equitable Pride festival.
- Stop and Frisk: Revisit or Resist investigates how this controversial policing practice has reentered discussions about Philadelphia’s gun violence crisis.
WHYY creates original programming on YouTube as well.
- Your Democracy breaks down government structures and how our fragile democracy works.
- Movers & Makers connects you with inspiring creators, innovators and activists in our region.
Community Engagement & Events
Learn more about upcoming events.
WHYY hosts dozens of community events each year, from documentary screenings to story slams about the personal impact of gun violence.
- Bridging Blocks neighborhood discussions help community members cross political and cultural divides to address contentious issues like critical race theory, reproductive rights and gentrification.
- Community Conversations offer neighbors a chance to discuss and debate issues that impact their everyday lives, showcasing expertise rooted in both theory and lived experience.
- News & Information Community Exchange (N.I.C.E.) organizes and supports grassroots news content creators who serve their communities.
- WHYY’s Street Team engages with the community at neighborhood events across our region.
Join us on TV, radio, online, on social media and in your community!