Video: Intense fire destroys Point Boro house

    A fire ignited by unattended candles ripped through a Point Pleasant Borough house Friday evening, authorities said. 

    Firefighters were dispatched to 704 Oakwood Road at 8:41 p.m. Friday after police observed visible fire in the house, Point Pleasant Borough Office of Emergency Management Deputy Coordinator Andrew Welsh said in a release. 

    Fire crews from multiple departments battled the blaze for hours, declaring it under control shortly before midnight, according to emergency radio transmissions. 

    All occupants escaped injury, Welsh said, adding that all emergency personnel were also unharmed. 

    Authorities determined that the fire was started by unattended candles used to heat a bedroom, NJ Advance Media for NJ.com reported

    Several area roadways were closed for hours while crews worked at the scene, Welsh said. 

    Responding units included the Point Pleasant Borough Fire Department, Point Pleasant First Aid Squad, Point Pleasant Borough Police Department, Bay Head Fire Department, Laurelton Fire Department, and the Herbertsville Fire Department. 

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.