Councilman DiCicco has scheduled hearings on THREE pro billboard bills.granting special exceptions (i.e. spot zoning) for unsightly and currently unlawful billboards
When: Tuesday, June 7 at 10 o’clock
Where: City Hall, Room 400
100678 – Would allow relocation of billboards and other structures displaced by the I-95 expansion. We covered this bill in an earlier form, and this PlanPhilly article details some of the concerns this bill has raised. According to the Planning Commission this bill was put on hold for further review & refinements in February, but the same version is up for review on the 7th.
– Would permit large scale animated billboards on the historic buildings of Market East. We covered the bill several times before, and the version up for vote in the rules committee on the 7th is far too broad an abrogation of existing zoning controls even for the development that is proposed for that area. This bill was also put on hold by the Planning Commission pending further review.
– Would turn an unlawful billboard located at 74 Moore Street into a digital billboard directly across from residences and also legalize its use as a commercial advertising sign in a prohibited area.. While the bill is new, SCRUB has represented Pennsport neighbors who have struggled with the sign owner’s attempts to skirt the zoning laws for years. Besides the bill being a clear example of unlawful spot zoning, the owner of the sign should not be rewarded with a special deal from City Council for his years of scofflawism. There are multiple violations issued on this property, and the sign was ordered to come into compliance back in July of 2009 by Judge Simpson of the PA Commonwealth Court.
You can help by:
- Signing our petition opposing the three Bills (summarized below with links for more info)
- Contacting your councilperson to share your opinion on these important issues (links at right), esp the RULES COMMITTEE.
- Testifying at the City Council Rules Committee hearing this Tuesday
June 7th at 10:00 Room 400, City Hall