Philadelphia police think they have in custody a person responsible for the slaying of off-duty Officer Moses Walker Jr. last Saturday during a robbery in North Philadelphia.
The man was captured Wednesday afternoon on Bartram Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia.
“We believe he’s going to be our shooter,” Homicide Capt. James Clark told a news conference at police headquarters Wednesday evening. He did not name the man.
A police source told WHYY/NewsWorks that the suspect is Rafael Jones of North Philadelphia. But police had not charged anyone formally in the case as of 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Police previously had released surveillance video of two men they suspected of being the robbers, and have offered at $118,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Walker’s killers.
Commissioner Charles Ramsey says he’s hopeful the other person involved in the killing will surrender.
“Anyone who was involved in this needs to get in touch with us turn yourself in and let’s talk and find out exactly what took place,” he said Wednesday evening. “That’s really the best advice we can give, because we will get them there’s no question about that you either come in voluntarily or we find you and bring you in.”
Ramsey would not say if the reward in the case played a part in bring a suspect in.
Sources said a second person brought Wednesday to the Roundhouse, as the police headquarters is known, was also being held for questioning.
Walker was shot on 19th Street near Cecil B. Moore Avenue while walking home from work.