Oxford House fire kills two in Lawndale

An early morning fire claimed the life of two residents of the Oxford House in Lawndale.

Crews responded to the blaze around 9 a.m.,  where Gerald Hooper, 75, and Lynn Scripnicencu, 56, were struggling to get out. Both needed wheelchairs to get around. Hooper was found unresponsive, Scripnicenu was pronounced dead at the hospital.

West Frankford Town Watch reports the fire was under control before 10 a.m., and that a maintenance worker, Carlos Cubilete, was treated for smoke inhalation.

Officials believe the fire started in a rear bedroom, and oxygen equipment could be a factor in the cause.



WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal