Crews responded to the blaze around 9 a.m., where Gerald Hooper, 75, and Lynn Scripnicencu, 56, were struggling to get out. Both needed wheelchairs to get around. Hooper was found unresponsive, Scripnicenu was pronounced dead at the hospital.
West Frankford Town Watch reports the fire was under control before 10 a.m., and that a maintenance worker, Carlos Cubilete, was treated for smoke inhalation.
Officials believe the fire started in a rear bedroom, and oxygen equipment could be a factor in the cause.