NWS: Holiday weekend won’t be a washout

     A recent Cape May scene by Vivian Agrisani (@viviangrisani) as tagged #JSHN on Instagram.

    A recent Cape May scene by Vivian Agrisani (@viviangrisani) as tagged #JSHN on Instagram.

    The holiday weekend will be unsettled at times at the Jersey Shore but it won’t feature washout conditions.

    Forecasters at the local National Weather Service say they can’t rule out some showers and thunderstorms especially on Sunday into Memorial Day. 

    There’s also a chance for some showers and thunderstorms on Saturday. 

    But the likelihood is relatively low, with NOAA calling for a 20% chance of precipitation Saturday, 30% on Sunday, increasing to a 50% chance on Sunday night and Monday. 

    • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

    The forecast calls for the nicest weather of the weekend on Saturday: partly sunny skies, temperatures near 70 degrees, and a light northwest breeze. 

    Mostly cloudy skies are ahead for Sunday (highs in the lower to middle 60s) and Monday (around 70).

    There’s a moderate risk of rip current development on Friday, but forecasters expect a low risk for Saturday as waves will diminish.  

    Ocean temperatures range from 58.1 degrees in Sandy Hook to 61.5 in Cape May.

    WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal