Authorities are praising an 8-year-old Atlantic County boy for waking his family as a fire consumed their mobile home.
Fire and school officials in Egg Harbor Township on Thursday presented the “Hero” award to Kane O’Connor during a school assembly. The boy also received gift baskets and toys.
He was sleeping last Saturday night when he saw fire in the bedroom that he shared with his 4-year-old sister.
Officials say he helped her out of the room and he they awakened his parents. The family got out safely before flames destroyed their home.
According to a GoFundMe fundraiser for the family, the mobile home was reduced to “metal and ash, as is everything inside.” You can donate by clicking here.
The fire has been ruled accidental.
A local fire official told the Press of Atlantic City that Kane’s story “is exactly why we go out into the schools and into the community — to teach kids what to do when this happens.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.